Summer is the season of Fire & Water, or Pitta, according to Ayurveda and so cooling summer treats are on the menu in my house. Coconut is considered a cooling food and so is ideal for the summer diet, but should be eaten sparingly in the winter season. It is also high in good quality fat, is a source of protein, and is naturally sweet which is fantastic. I have been favoring foods that are higher in fat and protein and low in sugars so these are some of my go to treats at the moment.
Chocolate Chip Mint Coconut Truffles
I’ve been making a fresh batch of these each week and find them to be a perfect after dinner treat or something sweet to enjoy with an afternoon cup of tea.
- ¾ cup of coconut oil
- ¾ cup of coconut butter
- 2-3 Tbs of fresh chopped mint
- 1tsp pure mint extract
- ¼ cup of finely chopped extra dark chocolate (raw if possible!)
- 1-2 drops of stevia or 1 TBS maple syrup can be added for a sweeter treat if desired
- Mix the coconut oil and butter together in a bowl with a fork. If the ingredients are cold and are not mixing well use a food processor to get a smooth consistency.
- Add the fresh mint, mint extract, and chocolate. Stir until combined.
- Spoon into ice cube trays, plastic chocolate molds, or small paper confectionery cups.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve chilled.
Coconut Milk and Banana Popsicles
These are so easy to make and my son loves them. I don’ t mind that he has a couple every day as they are so much healthier than store bought options and have less of a sugar spiking effect than juice popsicles.
- 1 can of organic coconut milk (look for a BPA free can!)
- 1 organic banana
- 1 tsp organic vanilla powder
- 1/3 cup water
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender.
- Pour into popsicle molds.