Fire & Flow: Vinyasa Yoga Teaching Intensive
Expand your capacity to offer skillful, inspired and transformative vinyasa yoga classes.
My first introduction to yoga was through vinyasa, and it is the power and fluidity of this practice that led me to fall in love with yoga. I have taught vinyasa yoga for over 15 years and it continues to inspire me because of the fact that it offers me so much creative range to work with. Teaching vinyasa yoga can be a lot of fun. It can also be very challenging. It is particularly challenging to teach in the mixed-level drop-in style yoga environment that is today’s norm. I created the Fire & Flow: Vinyasa Teaching Intensive to support yoga teachers who love vinyasa yoga in learning some of the tools and techniques that can make it easier for them to create powerful and intelligent vinyasa yoga classes for their students. This is a five day teaching intensive and is open to any teachers who have a minimum of 200 hours of previous yoga teacher training.
Topics of Study
- defining vinyasa and expanding our definition of flow
- identifying the core components of vinyasa yoga
- techniques for teaching vinyasa yoga to beginner students
- creative vinyasa sequencing for beginner to advanced students
- how to safely teach advanced postures within a flow class
- working with mixed levels
- using language effectively or the art of cueing
- how to weave inspirational themes into your classes
- techniques & strategies for public classes & workshops
- tools for determining your individual vinyasa style
Pre-Requisites & Requirements
The following pre-requisites will be important to ensure that you get the most out of this training if you choose to register. If you have questions about this please contact me directly.
- All participants must have completed a minimum of 200 hours of yoga teacher training, and will ideally have a minimum of one year of teaching experience
- All participants must be physically able to practice a minimum of 2-3 hours of vinyasa yoga each day of this training
- All participants will ideally have experience practicing vinyasa yoga for a minimum of one year
Participants Will Receive
- 35 hours of in-classroom training with me. (Group size will be limited to 20 students including my assistant.)
- Fire & Flow: Vinyasa Yoga Teaching Manual
- Invitation to a private forum space where you can connect with others who have taken this program and share resources & support ongoing
- Fire & Flow certificate of completion (can be used for Continuing Education credits with the Yoga Alliance)
- Targeted homework assignments (during & after program ends) to assist with new sequencing and teaching skills
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:30 -9am: Daily Surya Namaskar practices followed by pranayama & meditation to open the day
- 9-11am: Teaching methodology/sequencing strategies – each day will focus on a specific topic that we will explore through theory & practice
- 11-12:30: daily vinyasa yoga practice led by Natalie
- 12:30-2pm lunch break
- 2-3 pm: Teaching methodology /various topics such as cueing, demonstration skills, partner work, modifying for injuries etc
- 3- 4:15: Teaching practice – participants will be expected to do a minimum of 10-30 minutes of teaching practice each day
- 4:15-5pm: Review, Q&A, closing practices
Dates & Times: January 12-16th 2018 8:30 am – 5pm daily
Location: Moksana Yoga, Victoria BC
Registration Notes (please read before registering): I will be accepting 20 students maximum for this program. Before registering please ensure that the email address associated with your Pay Pal account is current. Upon registration you should get an immediate receipt of payment as well as email response from me with a welcome note and program details- if you do not receive this please contact me directly to ensure you are registered.
This program is now full. If you would like to add your name to a wait list please email me directly.
Cancellation Policy: Tuition is refundable (minus a $35 admin fee) up until three weeks prior to the course start date or Dec 22nd, 2017. After that date, no refunds will be made unless your spot can be filled. If you are unable to attend for any reason, payment received will be kept on file as a credit and can be used for any other Living Yoga live program ( subject to availability), or any online course within the year.
How is this program different than your Skill in Action Teaching Intensive? The Skill in Action Intensive focuses on learning a variety of techniques to support you in refining your teaching skills, regardless of what style of yoga you teach. While some time in that program is given to exploring creative vinyasa technique, the program is not focused on vinyasa the way that the Fire & Flow program is. Fire & Flow is all about vinyasa.
I teach vinyasa to a lot of beginner students will your program help me with that? Yes, we will look at how to teach vinyasa yoga to people who are new to the practice in a way that supports them in learning good technique, building stamina and becoming comfortable with the rhythm of flow.
I want to teach more advanced vinyasa classes, will we learn how to do this in your course? Yes, we will look at how to sequence for advanced postures using a vinyasa template, and cover a variety of techniques to support you in introducing advanced work to your students in a mixed level class environment.
Do I need to have an advanced practice in order to take this training? No. But you do need to have experience practicing vinyasa yoga and be comfortable practicing for a minimum 2 hours per day for the five days of this training. All advanced postures will be taught with options and stages to suit various levels of practice within the room.